Saturday, January 28, 2006

The days get longer and the nights smell green, I guess it's not surprising but it's spring and I should leave.

On a bus ride into town, I wondered out loud, "Why am I going to town?"
As I looked around at the billboards and the stores I thought, "Why do I look around?"
And I kissed the filthy ground... the first dry spot I found...
I didn't have to wonder why I was laying down.


For those of you who read this thing and don't live here in Minnesota (that means you, Topher and Jenessa... you might be the only ones who read this at all, actually), it has been unseasonably warm for the past couple days. I guess this is supposed to be the coldest week of the year on average, and it's been in the 40s. That's like 30 degrees above the average for the last 65 years. Needless to say, I've been wasting gas as I drive around with the windows down, listening to music.

Before long I was too cold... took a bus back to the station,
I found a letter left by a pay phone with no return contact
And it read like a horn blown by some sad angel,
"Bunny, it was me... it was me who let you down"
It was the shyest attempt I'd ever seen at conversation.


What music, you say? I'm glad you asked. Mostly it's been The Renaissance EP and Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo by MxPx, Good News For People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse, and random songs by Bright Eyes and Foo Fighters. I think I'm going to make a happy-time warm weather driving mix casette so I don't have to keep changing tracks on my MP3 player in traffic where I could potentially drive off of a bridge.

But if I didn't have You as my guide, I'd still wander lost in Sinai,
Counting the plates of cars from out-of-state,
How I could jump in their path as they hurry along!
And You surround me, You're pretty but You're all I can see
Like a thick fog...
If there was no way into God,
I would never have laid in this grave of a body for so long.


In other news, I finally broke down and got a MySpace. I know, I know, I am now officially a trendy loser. I really only got it because 7x has been down for like a week, and the Internet is so boring without it that I had to do something, and signing up for a place that would allow me to list as many of my favorite bands as I wanted sounded like a good idea (unlike a certain blog hosting service that shall remain anonymous). All of my posts will still be here, though. MySpace's blog service sucks really, really hard.

And St. Cyril's fair always came through the first week of September
But it's already the 19th... and there's no sign of it...
Yet I have a hard time remembering all the things I should remember
And a hard time forgetting all the things that I was supposed to forget.
And, Christ, when You're ready to come back,
Then I think I'm ready for You to come back;
But if You want to stay wherever exactly it is You are,
That's okay, too... it's, it's really none of my business.


It's kind of nice to know that college students are just and lazy and procrastinating as high school students. I had to have a rough draft of a paper done for Freshman Comp this morning so we could do peer reviewing, and the other two people in my group both wrote their papers last night, just like me. I'm not really sure why I thought college students would be any more responsible about stuff like that, but the fact remains that I did, and I'm happy to know that I was wrong. Speaking of writing, I've been thinking about writing an article for the school paper about my top 25 albums of 2005, since all of the music articles in there really suck. If it does get written, I'll post it here. In case you were wondering, all the lyrical interruptions between paragraphs are from one song, "Carousels" by mewithoutYou. I've really, really been getting into this band lately. It tears me apart inside just listening to them, and that is definitely a good thing. If you are interested in hearing them (and why shouldn't you be, since I clearly have wonderful taste in music), go check out my MySpace for one of my favorite songs by them. That's probably the best part about MySpace, the ability to share all the great music I discover with everyone else. Anywho, it somehow got to be past 3:00, and I should probably hit the sack. More to come.

And if I didn't have You as my guide, I'd still wander lost in Sinai
Or down by the tracks watching trains go by
To remind me: there are places that aren't here.
And I had a well but all the water left,
So I'll go ask Your forgiveness with every breath,
And if there was no way into God,
I would never have laid in this grave of a body... so long, dear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home